Saturday, October 6, 2007

Creative Loafing's Best Of-- Best Dessert

A few weeks ago Creative Loafing, the fine arts, entertainment, and lifestyle publication in our city, with extremely aloof staffers put out their Best of Atlanta issue. It has been a tradition of mine, when I can afford to do it, to visit as many of the Best of's as I can to give my own assessment. So now I will share the first one with you. Today's Best of-- Best Dessert.

Creative Loafing awarded Cafe Intermezzo the place to go for desserts in Atlanta. This is not surprising because Intermezzo has been kinda the standard in terms of dessert cafes in Atlanta for many years. I always found the place to be a little stuffy but the desserts are excellent.

For this experience, we invited my old friend and longtime Atlanta resident Todd, his wife Heather, and their two young children. Intermezzo is a fancy-schmancy place so it was a little weird being their with young children, but the wait staff was very nice and very attentive. However, Todd alerted me that we were sitting in the area that they designated for families and that's why about 30 minutes into the meal, there was no one sitting around us.

We all had a pretty good dinner, but it's not about that. For dessert, I had a slice of white chocolate cheesecake. Now, it should be noted that this was the most basic in a long line of extravagant desserts. My taste are very basic. I enjoyed my dessert with a drink called an Almond Joy. The dessert, as you can imagine, was quite tasty. It was rich, without being cloyingly sweet. As was the case with desserts I have had there in the past, it was too rich to finish. Which is good news, because most of their stuff is good for breakfast the next day.

Now whether this was a better cheesecake than what I would have gotten at Copeland's Cheesecake in Atlantic Station is extremely debatable, but to Intermezzo's credit, we didn't wait an hour and a half for a seat. So for great ambiance and a great slice of cheesecake, Cafe Intermezzo is a great choice.

No comments: