
Dude got a pass to the SEC tournament. I was luke warm initially about this, but once I got there it all came together. The first game was Kentucky vs. Miss. St. Every one who knows Kentucky, knows that their fans travel. 1 p.m. at the Ga. Dome was like a UK home game. Those fans absolutely live and die on every possession. You would figure that most of their aggression would be towards Tubby Smith or, maybe, Randolph Morris, but instead fans were harshest on Sheray Thomas, a senior forward from Quebec. Long before the lane violation heard round the world, Thomas was berated by fans for no rebounding, missing three-pointers, breathing. Obviously, the lane violation didn't help.
The Arkansas/Vandy game was exciting but the highlight of this game for me was after Gary Ervin hit the game winner. It was at this point that freshmen guard, Patrick Beverly ran off the court knocking and jumped up into the stands, where his family cheered him on. In the process of doing this, Beverly knocked over a state trooper. James, a fellow reporter, summed it up best when he said, "he better be glad he has that uniform on." I would have to agree. If I was the one who knocked the state trooper over, I'd probably be doing this blog from county. Shouts out to law enforcement everywhere.
In between sessions, I discovered the food court at the CNN Center. Someone can tell me this, if they know. Do they always serve beer there? As throngs of fans from throughout the southeast converged on this place, I decide to do as the Romans, or at least the LSU fans do and partake in chicken fingers and a "thirstbuster" sized cup of Heineken.
I returned to the GA Dome a little warmer just in time for the start of the FL/GA game. For those of you who only saw this on Sports Center, FL was even more impressive in person. It looked as if they were playing a high school team. They dominated in every facet of the game and yesm Horford did knock that ball into the third row.
I didn't stay for Tenn/LSU because I had to get home to watch G-Tech and Wake. Overall observations of the day"
-Kentucky fans live and die by their team
-If you are a ball player you may be able to get away with knocking over a cop.
-LSU fans drink, a lot.
-When they assert themselves, FL is hard to beat.

No comments:
Post a Comment